Monday, September 1, 2008

The Ruins

I stumbled across the book The Ruins through Amazon.com's suggestive advertising during the summer of 2007. It sounded interesting and up my ally. I'm always looking for great Survivor books as well as movies. I bought the book about 6 months before I even learned they were making a movie, but I didn't read it right away. As soon as I saw a preview for the movie I quickly tried to finish the current book I was reading (what a bore it was) and start on The Ruins. Once I started reading The Ruins I could not put it down; it was that good! Not extremely exciting, but written very well.

The movie, on the other hand, was a different experience. I'm not a fan of standing behind cliches, but yea, the book was better. It's the same basic story in both the movie and book - at least they didn't try to change that - but the fact that they changed the ending just to appease "stupid" American audiences is what really made me dislike the movie. It ruined the movie. There were a couple other things including a rushed feeling that the movie gave off, which I think could have been done better. I don't blame the movie for rearranging what happens to who because I'm sure they wanted to create some surprise for people who had read the book.

Synopsis: When a group of tight-knit college friends visit the site of an undisturbed Mayan ruin, they stumble into an ancient trap: an unspoken evil waiting to drag its victims into an endless nightmare. As fear and paranoia eat away at their sanity, their only chance at escape is to commit the unthinkable.

My favorite element of The Ruins is without a doubt the herbal antagonist. I think I can safely say that The Ruins will be the only movie to appear on this blog that features killer plants! What happens is the 6 friends get too close to the ruins (pictured above), which is heavily populated with these docile man-eating vines. These vines get in you. They suffocate you. They suck you dry. Once the college friends step foot on the ruins, an army of local Mayans surround them and prevent them from leaving for the fear of carrying the evil vine's seed outside the quarantined vicinity (notice the moat of salt surrounding the ruins). The friends get stuck atop the ruins waiting for someone to come and rescue them before starvation or the vines kill them first.

Cast:

Amy (Jena Malone) is Jeff's girlfriend. She's hesitant on traveling to the ruins but persuaded into going.





Jeff (Jonathan Tucker) is Amy's boyfriend. He's the group leader and wants everyone to see something unique before leaving Mexico.


Eric (Shawn Ashmore) is Stacy's boyfriend. He's the most laid-back of the group.




Stacy (Laura Ramsey) is Eric's girlfriend and Amy's best friend. She tends to agree with whatever Amy says.


Mathias (Joe Anderson) is from Germany. His brother is an archaeologist with a dig site at the ruins and invites him to come visit. Mathias invites the others too.



Dimitri (Dimitri Baveas) is a Greek boy the group meets near their hotel. He tags along leaving his other Greek friends a map to follow later. He doesn't speak English.


Movie Scene:



Click here for Spoilers

No comments: